[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]Often you will know when you have a small leak in your house. You hear that telltale drip or you see a small puddle of water that was not there before. And where a water leak if left alone can have some enormous damage, you probably won’t lose your life over it. The kind of leak that could lead to that sort of result would be a gas leak. If left in its natural state, natural gas has no odor. It is highly combustible, and small amounts of gas can produce large quantities of heat. This fact makes it highly flammable, and even the smallest spark can ignite it and create a massive explosion, making it very dangerous. The gas company adds a sulfuric odor to the gas, giving it a rotten egg smell. This additive helps you determine if there is a gas leak. You may also detect a gas link if you see a damaged natural gas appliance, a piece of your yard that is dry when it is usually moist, or if you hear a hissing or whistling noise you may have a gas leak. Natural gas is needed in a variety of appliances around your house such as your clothes dryer, gas stove range and water heaters.
If you suspect that you have a gas leak in your house, here are some simple steps to follow:
– Immediately evacuate the area.
– Do not switch on or off any electrical appliances, lights, or any device that may cause a spark while you are evacuating
– Do not smoke, or light any other flame at any time that you suspect there may be a gas leak. Even from what you may deem is a safe distance.
– From a safe distance, call your gas company and report that you believe you have a gas leak.
You can also contact us at NIR Plumbers. We will help with any gas detections and repairs that may be necessary. We keep your family’s safety as our number one priority. Let us know if we can help you today.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]